Credit to @_cooknoevil_ Stuffed French toast. I shared this in my stories last Sunday and the response I got was crazy so had to give this a feature on my grid and urge you to go collect the ingredients today for an epic weekend breakfast or brunch!
This French toast is stuffed with creamy ricotta and tart raspberries and served with a berry compote, a dusting of icing sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. It is exactly what you need as the brief heatwave we’ve had waves us goodbye.
Apologies in advance for the somewhat loose ingredients list – early in the morning I do tend to measure by eye so use your head and your gut!
For two people you will need;
4 slices of bloomer or sourdough (I used a seeded bloomer cut on the thicker side)
3 large eggs
A good splash of milk or cream (if you have it and are feeling a little extra)
4/5 tbsp ricotta
A handful of frozen or fresh raspberries
Approx 30g unsalted butter
• Break the eggs into a large shallow dish, add the milk/cream and a pinch of salt and whisk.
• Take your slices of bread and spread around 1 tbsp of ricotta on each slice. Crumble (frozen) or smoosh (fresh) the raspberries over one slice and sandwich with another slice so the raspberry is sandwiched between the two ricotta coated sides.
• Over a medium heat set a non stick frying pan large enough to accommodate your sandwiches and melt the butter
• Place the sandwiches into the egg mix and allow to soak for 10-20 seconds before flipping and repeating with the other side. Once coated place directly in the bubbling butter in the pans
• Fry until golden on both sides lowering the heat if they are browning too quickly and don’t be afraid to add a little bit more butter to the pan when you need to flip them over and fry the second side.
• Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, lashings of maple syrup and a simple fruit compote made by simmering about 150/200g of mixed frozen berries with a splash of water until some of the berries begin to burst – I don’t add any sugar because I love the tartness to cut through the richness and with the added sugar and syrup I don’t feel it is needed!
If you make this please tag me I would love to see!!!
#cooknoevil #frenchtoast #stuffedfrenchtoast #ricotta #raspberries #brunch #breakfast #weekendbrunch #foodphotography #foodtography #chefselection #foodstyling #foodfluffer #foodblogger #huffposttaste #f52grams #f52community #thebakefeed #bakestagram #delicious #foodcapturecollective